Sunday, July 25, 2010

Parental Abuse = Healthy Snacks?

I plan to be fairly brief with my post today. Over the last several days I've enjoyed stewing over my words, editing, adding photos and having a general all 'round good time with this.

But the unusual has occurred. And by unusual I meant fantastic. I am without children. Oh no, not just for the day. No, my friends, my children won't be back until NEXT SUNDAY!

In a crazy turn of events, my kids have gone to spend the week with their grandparents. Please understand that this is as much a treat for the kids as it is for me- at this very moment, word on the street is that they are embroiled (is that a word?) in water gun wars with their cousins in the front yard. Surely I'd have them doing some torturous task such as shucking corn for dinner.

So instead of carefully selecting my words today to make sure they convey my deepest sentiments, I'm going to crank out a thought I started having last night and then move on to my next initiative- clearing my house of every McDonald's toy, every plastic carnival prize, every arcade stuffed animal I can dig up. My theory is that the kids will be gone long enough that when they come back they'll forget that these items even existed. Wish me luck.

I'm also wondering if my theory holds true with food. I'm finding more and more that if I swap out the junk with a truly nutritious and flavorful snack, they're none the wiser. Before, when Emma claimed hunger, she would settle for nothing less than chocolate chip cookies (not to say that I obliged her, it's just that she had a very narrow definition of a snack). Nowadays, "I'm hungry" is often followed by "can I have some cantaloupe?" A request I seldom if ever refuse.

Kids are resilient little things. I know this for a fact. When we brought James home from the hospital he was literally wadded in a ball in his car seat. We had assembled the seat incorrectly, stress led to frustration which led to arguing, and we basically figured we lived close enough that we had to call it quits on figuring out the problem and just get the heck out of there before they deemed us unfit as parents. He survived. He's 7. He has no memory of this initial parental failure.

So I'm enjoying experimenting on my kids. Each week I sneak at least one "unusual" snack food in to the house, am careful to position it as some phenomenal delicacy (I do work in marketing, you know) and let the chips fall where they may. And much to my pleasant surprise, this is working! The latest snack treasure at our house? Dried figs. They can't get enough of them. Who knew?

So please, I'd love to hear what creative ways you've found to get your kids to eat healthy snacks or what your snacks du jour are- we're always looking to try new things!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Erin! My husband and I have always tried to feed our kids healthy, local foods. We made all of their baby food in our own kitchen (we didn't even own a microwave until we moved from Vermont to Oregon a couple of weeks ago....into a house that had a microwave already built-in). Our kids (now 7 and 4) have never eaten at McDonalds (or the like), and they've never had soda (and don't like it). I think you'll find that once your kids develop a taste for healthy food, they'll never go back to eating junk!

    Here's one suggestion. My kids love all fruit and eat tons of it daily (which does get very expensive!!). Most mornings for breakfast they have a berry smoothie (frozen berries, banana, yogurt, juice...and sometimes a little kale or spinach snuck in for good measure). I often take a cup of it to work with me, too. It's a quick and easy healthy breakfast that they can help prepare.....and you can stick the leftovers in molds in the freezer for amazing frozen popsicles later.

    So, good luck with your revolution....I'm anxious to hear how it goes!!!
    ~Ali Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali- thanks for the tip on the smoothie. Ironically, I have a protein shake every morning but hadn't tried it with the kids yet. They LOVE making Giraffe Sticks (their name for frozen juice in ice cubes; no idea where that name came from). I also made all of James' baby food- his first solid was eggplant because there was a bumper crop that year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try kale chips! They are awesome and, well, green! My niece and nephew love them :)

    An aquaintance of mine from WMU has a great blog - and one of her posts was about healthy snacks for kids: http://rhiw.blogspot.com/2010/01/dozen-kid-pleasin-healthy-snacks.html

    ReplyDelete