As a busy working mom and wife, finding time to live a truly intentional life that is socially responsible at the same time is a challenge. I constantly find myself cutting corners and doing things that I know are lazy because, quite frankly, I'm just tired.
This blog is about my journey to live a more intentional life, starting with a revolution in my kitchen.
So why the kitchen? Well, everyone knows it's the center of the home. It's where everyone comes together at the end of the day. But it's also the place where we spend less and less time as the years tick by- fast food, processed food, frozen food... they've taken over our freezers and our cabinets. Gone are the days (for most of us) where a successful year meant a full pantry of canned beans, tomato sauce, jellies.
So how do I really think that a kitchen revolution can change my life? First of all, I'm going to help my family become healthy. I'm sickened when I look in my cupboard and see cheese puffs and pop tarts. I cringe when the eyes of my five year old light up at the sight of sugar frosted cereal. And I hate handing over my money to a huge grocery store chain, knowing that the farmers who produced the food I'm going to eat are barely making a sustainable living.
Next, I want to bring my family closer together. I want to be able to spend time with them, teach them skills (mom will be learning right along with them) and teach them how to make good choices.
Finally, I want to teach my children about being good citizens of this earth. Are we taking more than we give back? Do we make responsible choices with the food we eat? How can we translate the responsibility we're learning towards our food to other aspects of our lives?
My mind is just overflowing with topics I want to cover here but need to take this one day at a time. Speaking of one day at a time, what exactly prompted me to start this blog today?
TODAY we brought in our first cucumber from the garden. This may sound trivial to many, but the fact that someting is growing in my yard, something that I actually WANT in my yard, is a revolution in and of itself.
My kids carried it in to the house like it was the proverbial golden egg. We laid it gingerly on the cutting board (after washing it, of course), brought out our biggest knife and laid into that baby. I knew we had reached a measure of success when my husband ate a slice and said, "Hm. It's actually good". Let the revolution begin.
Congrats on the cucumber!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe do our best to eat healthy, but gosh it is so easy to not.
I think it helps that my kids didn't even know what McDonalds was until this year - Zoe's preschool class went there after a field trip. Of course now, when they see the sign, they both say, "MCDONALDS!" Like it was the greatest time they ever had.
The interesting thing is neither girl really ate much. They played more than anything. They left hot, sweaty, and hungry. But McDonalds is the bomb if you ask them.
I was much stricter with Zoe. She didn't even have a popcicle until 2. But once Eva came, I became less strict.
I'm looking forward to reading your journey!!!!
Go girl!! Anytime you need support, call me up. I've got lots of tips. Tip #1 - nix those bottles of water and go for one of the 5-gal refillable ones for the kitchen, as I know you do need to supplement the tap water at your place :) Maybe you've already accomplished this??
ReplyDeleteWow- didn't actually think anyone would read what I wrote but appreciate you girls giving feedback :) Knowing that someone might read this is a good motivator to continue and to put my money where my mouth is!
ReplyDeleteMichelle, unfortunately we lived in a small town when the kids were really little so unfortunately McDonalds was the playground on a rainy day!
Adrianne, we're working on the water situation... I'm sneaking refilled bottles back into the fridge (after washing, of course). So far, no one seems to be on to me!
Erin: Just watch the refilling of the bottles. Make sure you clean them well as bacteria can be harbored in the thin necks. Another idea is to buy refillable sport bottles and keep them in the fridge. Look for plastics to be #1, 2, 4 or 5. Those are generally regarded as the safest ones.
ReplyDelete